Thursday 2 August 2012

This afternoons patch visit lasted for 2 hours, but not a great deal was seen as I walked the Tree Nursery, the Greenhouse Grounds and Migrant Alley, the wind was a bit too fierce really, making listening for any squeaks, croaks or churring noises of any migrant warblers impossible against the rustling leaves. The only bird I added to the months list was SKYLARK (44) when two got up from the sheep pasture. A couple of WHITETHROATS, a BLACKCAP and a CHIFFCHAFF were around the poly tunnels at the Greenhouse Grounds, picking at the Raspberries and insects associated with them, the only other summer species today were the SWALLOWS and a few fly over SWIFTS, although this morning I did see a SPOTTED FLYCATCHER at the College Grounds as I walked into work  :-)

Two of the KESTREL family were seen up hunting, the only other raptor this afternoon was a PEREGRINE, one zoomed over head as I sat sky watching on my seat, I just had time to point the camera at it, but didn't have time to choose my settings, I fired off 6 shots, and only one looked like a Peregrine!
Peregrine
My walk today was enhanced by the sighting of my first Common Blue Butterfly since June, feeding amongst a whole host of Gatekeepers in the Tree Nursery, I didn't have my butterfly lens on, so I just got some fuzzy photo's of them  :-)
Common Blue
Gatekeeper - Female I think  :-) I dont remember this species having those little white spots on the bottom of the hindwing ? Greenie ? Dean ?
Another nice sighting was of the first Ruddy Darter since 2010, good to have one back on my patch
Ruddy Darter
Thats about it for today, another week or so and maybe a passage migrant will turn up  :-)

8 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Yes , that is a female Gatekeeper , and as you say , they don't usually show those white spots on the topwing , saving them for the underwing . Just a small aberration with your specimen .
Your Common Blue will be the first of the second brood , lets hope it will be better than the first .

Warren Baker said...

Thanks for that Greenie,
Its always interesting to find an aberration :-)

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Nice to see ruddy darter featured - must keep an eye open for them

Cheers

Davo
PS our butterfly zone has 'double eyed' meadow browns

ShySongbird said...

Hopefully you should see a few more Common Blues now Warren as they should have a second brood emerging from mid July in southern England.

Nice to see the Ruddy Darter, I don't think I have seen one since 2010 either.

Warren Baker said...

Hi Songbird,
I wish I had taken my Butterfly lens out this afternoon now, the Common Blue was freshly emerged, beautiful :-)

Warren Baker said...

Hi Davo,
I always like to find these aberrations, something to ponder whilst out!

Pete Woodruff said...

I too am intrigued by your female Gatekeeper with 'two eyes' Warren.

Millhouse Photography said...

What a great thrill to see the Peregrine Warren. Great snap there mate.