Thursday 27 August 2009

It was another blustery, windy afternoon, and this along with the time of day meant few birds were seen, and even fewer heard, as the annoying continual roar of the wind in my ears blanked any other sound out.

It wasn't all gloom though, as I walked past the greenhouse complex a KESTREL was 'balancing' on the wind, expertly hovering over the rough grssland there. Once at Migrant Alley I walked round the maize, and watched a TURTLE DOVE fly into the edge of the crop. Out on one of the paddocks 20 or so PIED WAGTAILS fed, picking up what few insects they could find in the conditions, as I scanned through them I saw 8 LINNETS and yet another YELLOW WAGTAIL, which promptly flew up and off, looking like it had been sucked away by the wind.
A hours skywatching provided me with another passage migrant species when at least 6 SAND MARTINS flew low over the maize, a large female SPARROWHAWK caused mass panic a few minutes later, and everything took the sky in ''everybird for himself '' fashion. It took a while for all to become calm again, but it wasn't to long before a HOBBY came over, this time upsetting all the SWALLOWS and HOUSE MARTINS.

So despite the wind, it wasn't a total loss today. Sand Martins are always a good spot on my patch, and I never tire of seeing Yellow Wags, while 3 species of raptor is not to be sniffed at either, however I can't help just feeling a little disappointed at the lack of a Whinchat or Wheatear, this time last year I had two of the former and one of the latter on the same afternoon - that was a good day!!
No pics today - too windy for insects - and the birds wouldn't come near enough today.

5 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
That wind has to stop soon , doesn't it ?

Warren Baker said...

Greenie, it's been blowing all year! i'm fed up with it!

Anonymous said...

I wonder what the changes in weather portend? I know our weather over here has been odd each month. we had the coolest July ever recorded and I think August will be the coolest August ever recorded.

Thank you for your visit to My Birds Blog and for the comment you left about the number of sparrows we have over here.

Ken. said...

Hi Warren.
I know what you mean about the wind, still even though you might not have seen a great deal of birds today, you stil saw some good ones. It is great to have S/Martins on your inland patch.
There is still time for Whinchat's to arrive.

ShySongbird said...

It's been a strange old Summer weather-wise Warren but you still see plenty of birds, more than I ever do!