Thursday 13 October 2011

Dry with an easterly breeze was the forecast for this afternoon, it was niether, I got a real soaking as I walked home from work! The rain left off around 3:30pm, but as I had started cleaning my garden feeders, I finished that job off before venturing out for an hour, just before dusk.

Although it was just a short visit, over to my sky watching seat at Migrant Alley, it wasn't without some interest , I watched a loose flock of 14 SKYLARK drift over south, and a steady procession of both BLACK HEADED and HERRING GULLS went NE. The SPARROWHAWK was after a late afternoon snack, it glided over the Greenhouse Complex eying the many PIED WAGTAILS that gather there pre-dusk. I was surprised to hear, then find a CHIFFCHAFF in the tall hedge by my seat, where DUNNOCKS, ROBINS, and BLUE TITS were gathering, as well as a few BLACKBIRDS, of which more dropped in from the sky, I scanned them carefully in case one turned out to be a Ring Ouzel, but no luck today. Other bits included 7 MEADOW PIPITS that dropped into the sheep pasture, 4 flyover FIELDFARE, and two REDWING all going south.

Tomorrow looks a brighter day, but unfortunatley ive got to work through the best part of it!






5 comments:

Ken. said...

Hi Warren.
It is a shame that the weather put the mockers on your day, still you did well anyway. Hopefully tomorrow, you will get the opportunity to get out for bit of a scan around even if it is after work.

Alan Pavey said...

The winds are staying eastish for a day or two so maybe we'll get something else between us :-)

Jason K said...

I hate to say it but I had a good morning on the patch mate. Had 260+ Fieldfare down on the deck

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you should`ve been up here Warren. An amazing winter thrush day, with birds passing over, all through the morning.

Pete Woodruff said...

Don't like to hear you have to work through the best part of tomorrow Warren....thats just not on!