Sunday 9 October 2011

Rain was falling at the start of todays full patch walk, preventing much birdlife beeing seen at all, in fact, just 21 species were seen from 06:30 to 08:30. However this did include a nice GREY WAGTAIL, seen at the College Stables, and a CHIFFCHAFF which was still knocking about in the Greenhouse Complex, plus two WHEATEAR that were in the paddocks at Migrant Alley.

Once the Rain had cleared through, I popped back home to change my wet jeans and fleece, then headed out across the Tree Nursery to get to the Lakes and Scrubby Woods. Upon crossing the Tree Nursery, I heard the call of SISKINS, I looked up to see a flock dive down into the greenhouse Grounds, where at the same time a flock of GOLDFINCH came up and mingled with them, I dont know how many Siskin there were but the combined flock was around 75 - 100 strong. Almost immediately after that, I had a fllock of around 40 REDWING (62) zoom low over my head, the first of the Autumn, great to have them back, I look forward to them being regulars now until early April :-)  More Redwing went over throughout the rest of the visit, flocks of 8, 6, 16 and 27 were noted as well as a few singles, with the flock of 16 was a lone FIELDFARE.

Over at the lakes and Scrubby Woods, it was very much as yesterday, with the exception of a KINGFISHER on the main lake. 5 BULLFINCH fed in a Hawthorn, and a LONG TAILED TIT flock had a TREECREEPER with it.

As the sky was now clearing and the sun was begining to come out, I made another trip to Migrant Alley for a skywatch, which proved interesting, for as well as the usual KESTREL and SPARROWHAWK, I saw 6 HOUSE MARTINS and two SWALLOWS, a female BLACKCAP was seen briefly in the tall hedge adjacent to my seat, the 5th summer species recorded, it's always interesting when October throws together a mix of both Winter and Summer species  :-) 

Carrion Crow


Garden GREENFINCH





Garden Goldfinch






 



10 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Not the best of weather to be out early Warren. As soon as I got home it stopped raining and brightened up!! Good to see Redwings are on the move inland. The winter birds are on their way.

Warren Baker said...

Marc, I got home, put some wet weather gear on then it brightened up!

Bob Bushell said...

The pictures are beautiful, but, I love the Carrion Crow, it is superb.

Warren Baker said...

Cheers Bob, Not quite as good as some of your bird images though :-)

Jason K said...

Cracking crow photo Warren...under appreciated birds the corvids.

I havent had a sniff of Redwing or Fieldfare yet...i guess that will all change this week

Greenie said...

Warren ,
I assume the Winter Thrushes have heard the weather forcast .
Thanks for the Firefox tip .
If I can get my head around it , I'll give it a try .

Anonymous said...

Had my first Redwings of the autumn/winter as well today, Warren.

Pete Woodruff said...

Not heard of the Redwing up'tnorth yet Warren.

Alan Pavey said...

Hi Warren, that was a good couple of hours despite the low species tally, I enjoy this time of year when the flocks of Thrushes and Finches are passing through. Great pics again.

Ornitocampero.blogspot.com.es said...

That feeder really workswell!
Nice day.