Saturday 25 May 2013

After yesterdays atrocious weather, this morning, although cold and breezy to start with, slowly improved as the morning went on, and the afternoon even saw some long sunny spells  :-)

First thing noted this morning was this Juv. WOODPIGEON, it was in my garden, another species to join the 'successfully Bred' list this year  :-)
Juv. Woodpigeon - First of the year.
I spent the morning session visiting the College Grounds, checking the Ashes lane field, Pub Field and Migrant Alley on the way, then stopping at the Greenhouse Grounds before heading off home for breakfast.

It was quite a good visit for the number of species seen, 37 in all, though none were new to the months list. Of the Summer birds, BLACKCAP, WHITETHROAT and CHIFFCHAFF were all singing, and the SWALLOWS joined in with their cheery notes too as they sped over the area.

The mixed flock of Geese were again feeding on one of the paddocks at Migrant Alley, they included 14 CANADA, 16 GREYLAGS and the feral BARNACLE GOOSE, at least 20 LINNETS were also in the paddocks, with a few GOLDFINCH mixed in with them.
Greylag Goose
Most of the 37 species were recorded in the College Grounds and Gardens, the best being the SPOTTED FLYCATCHER, which was singing loudly from a lime tree, if you can call its high pitch 'sqeaking' a song! Also seen at the College today were the likes of COAL TIT, GOLDCREST, BULLFINCH, GREAT SPOTTED and GREEN WOODPECKERS, HOUSE SPARROW, and PIED WAGTAIL. At least three SONGTHRUSHES are holding territory here too, hopefully all will produce some young :-)
Pied Wagtail
Song thrush
Recently fledged MOORHEN at the College Grounds
After some breakfast, I went over to my seat at Migrant Alley for a sky watch, allowing the day to warm up a bit before I went over to the lakes and Scrubby Woods, where I hoped for some Butterflies and Damselflies. My sky watch produced sightings of KESTREL, BUZZARD, SPARROWHAWK, HERRING GULL, LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL, BLACK HEADED GULL, GREY HERON, SWIFT, and STOCK DOVE, while behind me the LITTLE OWL was again on the Greenhouse roof.

My visit to the Lakes and Scrubby Woods was partially successful, as I found my first Azure Damselfly for the year, just one though! Butterflies were few, with just Green Veined White, Small White and Holly Blue encountered, ( i'll post images of some those tomorrow). I added MISTLETHRUSH, LONG TAILED TIT, TREECREEPER, JAY, COOT,  plus, more excitingly a purring TURTLE DOVE, and a flyover singing CUCKOO to my day list, which ended on a very impressive (for my patch) 53 species  :-) I wonder if that will be the last Cuckoo I hear sing this year, they seldom sing in June on my patch.

The last bit of news for the day was seeing the first newly fledged ROBIN in my garden later this afternoon, species number ten to successfully raise young on my patch this year  :-)

2 comments:

Marc Heath said...

A good selection of birds Warren. Hopefully more sun tomorrow!

Warren Baker said...

Might go to Tudeley woods tomorrow pm Marc. They had some Pearl Bordered Fritillary there last year :-)