Wednesday 19 February 2014

Light rain this morning fizzled out to leave a mostly overcast but dry day. I spent 3 hours out, mostly around the lakes, Scrubby Woods and Wet Woods, with just a small amount of time given over to the fields, there isn't much to see on them this winter! There were a few gulls on the sheep pasture at Migrant Alley though, two were COMMON GULLS, which is good to see here, with them were 8 BLACK HEADED GULLS and 4 HERRING GULLS. A presumed pair of BUZZARDS were seen flying low along High House Lane, great to sit and watch these from my sky watching seat  :-) The LITTLE OWL was in its usual tree in the Greenhouse Copse, and at least 6 MEADOW PIPITS were with 4 PIED WAGTAILS at the Greenhouse Grounds. The male KESTREL was up hunting over the Ashes lane Field, and a GREY HERON flew over, but little else did!

Early on my visit to the lakes found them quite busy, with 15 CANADA GOOSE and the feral BARNACLE GOOSE, the KINGFISHER was also seen again, and a pair of GOOSANDER had returned, with another female splashing down to join them whilst I was there. The regulars of MUTE SWAN, COOT, MALLARD and MOORHEN made up the rest of what was on the water.

An average-ish sort of day for February, nothing new for the year or months list, I did see what looked to be a Barn Owl pellet by a horse jump at Migrant Alley, on dissecting it I found a scapular bone and the claw of a small passerine amongst all the fur, would be good to find Barn owl here  :-)
Shame the light was so poor, this Goosander came reasonably close today
It swam off on hearing the camera shutter, they really do shift when they need to!
Litttle Owl at the Greenhouse Copse
.
I spent an hour or so trying to get some images to brighten the blog at my garden feeders, I got a few of the regulars, I'll post them as the week goes on   :-)

6 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Really sunny here this afternoon, thats 3 sunny days on the trot, rain tomorrow though! Do like those L Owl shots, send him my way!

Warren Baker said...

It's my Owl! I might just swap it for a few hours with a Snow Bunting though Marc!

Pete Woodruff said...

Like the Goosander shots Warren despite the poor light.

A hint of spring up here in't north, with a couple of hours on the promenade at Morecambe this afternoon with a belting adult Mediterranean Gull to make it even brighter for me.

Warren Baker said...

Pete, spring is just around the corner, cant wait! Just hope the weather is kind :-)

Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed that Barn Owl materialises, Warren.

Warren Baker said...

Ta Dean :-)