Tuesday 11 February 2014

More heavy rain this morning kept me indoors, until finally it cleared up around 1pm. I only had 90 minutes, so spent it walking over to the lakes, of course at that time of the day there wasn't too much bird activity, but at least I got some exercise  :-)

The walk wasn't a total waste of time though, as I added my old friend the feral BARNACLE GOOSE (59) to the months bird list, it was on the smallest of the three lakes, along with 3 CANADA GEESE and a CORMORANT. The two female GOOSANDER were still on the main lake, and the COOT pair along with the MUTE SWAN pair remain on the ornamental lake, where a KINGFISHER was also seen.

As I walked home across the Ashes lane field, a BUZZARD went low over, and a party of REDWING flew up from an adjacent garden. Not much of a patch visit, but I at least added something to the stalling February bird list, which now stands at 59, the joint seventh highest February total, joint with 2007.

Tomorrows weather looks even worse than todays, so I'll be lucky to get even a short walk out  :-(

Late in the afternoon the sky almost completely cleared, leaving some great light for some garden bird photo's, here's a few of the images I took, i'll post the rest tomorrow.
GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER

GOLDFINCH
.
GREENFINCH
CHAFFINCH

4 comments:

Pete Woodruff said...

More excellent garden pics Warren....and you also got some exercise when the weather finally cleared up.

Ken. said...

Warren.
The weather might be miserable, but you certainly cannot say that about those lovely bird shots that you posted on your blog today. Well done with the party of Redwing, not a bird I have heard much about so far this year.
Lets hope you manage to get for a bit longer some time this week.

Warren Baker said...

Pete,
Since I gave up work last March, the weather has been all over the place! It's all my fault :-) :-)

Warren Baker said...

Hi Ken,
Thanks mate :-)
I'll have to take what I can at the moment, this run of weather is unbelievable !