Tuesday 28 October 2014

After the early fog had cleared, the morning turned sunny and warm again, another bonus day!

An early visit to Migrant Alley didn't provide too much birding activity, a LITTLE OWL was seen in the adjacent Greenhouse Copse, a few HERRING GULLS and BLACK HEADED GULLS flew over, also the passage of WOODPIGEONS was noted again.


Immature Herring Gull

I made my way over to the lakes via the Ashes lane Fields, from where a couple of MEADOW PIPITS flew up, a CORMORANT flew over, as did a few single SKYLARKS, calling as they headed NW.

Arriving at the lakes I counted 8 MALLARD on the main lake, a GREY HERON was at the small Lake and the ornamental lake had the usual MUTE SWAN family and a scattering of MOORHENS, however, a few ripples of water caught my eye under the tree overhang as I passed back along the main lake, then looking through my bins at the spot, I found a brilliant LITTLE GREBE (108,74) That's the first here since January 2012, and only the second record in five years, so I was well pleased to add this species to my year list  :-) As I waited for it to come into photographic range, a party of 24 CANADA GEESE and a lone GREYLAG GOOSE splashed down, then I spied the KINGFISHER zoom low across the water.

I got a distant photo of the Little Grebe eventually, but it was very wary, it's extremely good eyesight spotting my movements from 30 meters away!

 Not the best image, but I like the reflection of the bird in the water, plus all the Autumnal colours  :-)

I ended up back at my seat over at Migrant Alley for a bit of a sky watch, but only a COMMON BUZZARD and the male KESTREL were seen of any note. I was saddened to see the Greenhouse Grounds taking another battering, the nettles and brambles were being strimmed down to the ground, looks the place has had a change of ownership and is being ''tidied'' up  :-(



9 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Super find. Nice autumnal colours in the shots.

Warren Baker said...

Cheers Marc, YBW next :-)

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Gorgeous little grebe pics.
Gee how I hate the phrase 'tidy up'

Cheers

DaveyMan

Warren Baker said...

Thanks Davyman :-)

Let's keep it ''messy'' out there!!

Pete Woodruff said...

LITTLE GREBE....Yeehaa!!

Warren Baker said...

Indeed Pete!! Very pleased I am too with it :-) :-)

Wilma said...

The little grebe reflection is super, well worth the wait for it to come into range!

Linda said...

Your photos are breathtaking, and I love the water and reflections...wow!

Warren Baker said...

Thank you Linda :-)