Wednesday 15 October 2014

Another very damp and murky morning, in which I had just 90 minutes out on patch, the rest of the day was wasted awaiting a parcel delivery, that as I write still hasn't arrived!

I spent the 90 minutes around the Greenhouse Grounds, Migrant Alley and the Ashes Lane Fields, hoping to stumble across one of the many Ring Ouzels reported in kent yesterday, but I had no luck. A SPARROWHAWK cruised through the Greenhouse Grounds, that doesn't help in trying to find Ring Ouzels!  A circuit of Migrant Alley, then a short sky watch was made, where I saw a SKEIN of 46 Geese fly over, 44 of those being CANADA, 1 being GREYLAG and one was the BARNACLE GOOSE. I also heard a GOLDEN PLOVER (68) calling in the distance, it came nearer, calling all the time, then circled around the fields and paddocks for at least 3 minutes, but I couldn't see it at all, despite its constant calls, such was the mist and gloom, still, its a good species for the October list and just the second one recorded this year.

As I fruitlessly searched the sheep pasture at the Ashes lane Field for a Ring Ouzel, 3 SWALLOWS flew over, this is the third latest date I have recorded them, my average last date for Swallow is the 8th October. I had to leave for home shortly after, seeing just the KESTREL pair of not as I walked back.  Hopefully a Ring Ouzel will drop in here some time this week!


2 comments:

Simian said...

Ah....mist and gloom....i know all about that....nice to hear from you Warren...good to see a few pics on your blog, still keeping the camera clicking....golden plover a good one to get...!

Warren Baker said...

Graham,
I'm looking forward to some clear frosty mornings now :-)