Tuesday 14 October 2014

Misty, murky, damp dreary, and drizzly, such was the weather all day today, unsurprisingly there were not many birds about this morning!

An early visit to the lakes and Scrubby Woods via the Small holding and Wet Woods was not a very exciting walk, however of note, there were at least 8 GOLDCRESTS seen, as well as a couple of TREECREEPERS, a CHIFFCHAFF and at least 3 BULLFINCH. As I scanned the lakes, finding nothing but the usual, I heard the call of REDWINGS from above and saw a flock of 15 - 20 fly over.

I quickly moved on and whilst crossing the Ashes Lane Fields I saw the bird of the day sitting on the fence line above the drainage ditch, a brilliant little STONECHAT, I thought i'd had the last of these pass through, well that certainly brightened the morning  :-)

A walk around the sheep pasture and paddocks at Migrant Alley, in some very wetting, heavy drizzle was made, but only the MEADOW PIPITS were of any note, around a dozen of which were seen. I passed the Greenhouse Copse and noted the LITTLE OWL on its usual perch, before I too settled at my usual perch for a sky watch, which despite the poor visibility and persistent drizzle, wasn't too bad. During the 90 minute vigil I saw a procession of SKYLARKS flying NW in two' and threes, plus more Meadow Pipits. Also, 4 SWALLOWS and a HOUSE MARTIN were seen, then another flock of 15 - 20 Redwing sped by low and fast going W. A GREY HERON and 2 single CORMORANTS headed towards the lake area, and six MALLARDS did the same, before coming back over again a few minutes later. The only raptor up hunting was the SPARROWHAWK, but I did note the female KESTREL sitting in the dry at the edge of its nest box  :-) 

Not too bad a visit then for a particularly miserable day, weatherwise!

Nothing for the camera today in the gloom and all there is left in the 'blog folder' are these garden efforts  :-)

CHAFFINCH

GREENFINCH


6 comments:

Phil said...

Surprised you didn't get a Ring Ouzel today Warren. There have been literally hundreds around Kent today, I even found one at New Hythe this morning, a mega patch tick for me. Goldcrests also made an appearance after an absence of over a year! Well done with the Stonechat.

Warren Baker said...

Phil,
I looked in all the likely places, but no Ring Ouzel for me :-( very disappointed.

Pete Woodruff said...

'Misty, murky, damp dreary, and drizzly'....doesn't get much worse Warren, but the Stonechat brightened things up no end I reckon.

Warren Baker said...

Indeed it did Pete! :-)

Noushka said...

Congratulations, Warren!
These a gorgeous photos of 2 fringillidae!
I hope all is going the way you want :)
No dragons these days??
I guess the weather has taken a toll on their activity...
Keep well!

Warren Baker said...

Nouska,
The dragons have just about come to and end for this year now!