Saturday 15 November 2014

After missing a patch visit yesterday morning, due to the persistent heavy rain, this morning very nearly went the same way, but fortunately their were some breaks in the downpours this morning, although it was extremely dull and misty throughout my visit.

An early walk over to the lakes, in pouring rain, didn't provide much of interest as I passed through the Small Holding and Wet Woods, the lakes themselves had the COOT pair and the KINGFISHER present, as well as a pair of CORMORANTS, but not a hoped for Duck species. The Adjacent Scrubby Woods was very quiet, just 2 male BULLFINCH, a pair of COAL TIT and up to 6 GOLDCRESTS were the best of it.

The rain had ceased for a while as I headed for Migrant Alley and the Greenhouse Grounds via the Ashes Lane Fields, where 4 MEADOW PIPITS flew up, then a BUZZARD flew low over, alighting in the middle section of an Oak tree which was already occupied by the female KESTREL in the upper branches, she called out in disgust, before flying off into a nearby Sycamore.

Arriving at the Greenhouse Grounds, I walked the hedgerow that forms the boundary with the sheep pasture at Migrant Alley, here I saw a few CHAFFINCHES, DUNNOCKS, BLACKBIRDS, SONGTHRUSHES, a single FIELDFARE as well as a couple of YELLOWHAMMER and better still, my first REED BUNTINGS (63) of the month. Its been a decent year for Reed Buntings on my patch, although they remain scarce and never turn up in more than one's and two's, this is the sixth month this year that I have have recorded them, two to three would be more usual. A rain shortened sky watch from my seat was good for HERRING GULLS, BLACK HEADED GULLS, a couple of SKYLARKS, four REDWING and a group of three MISTLETHRUSHES.

Another camera-less outing today, but I still have a few garden bird pics to show that I took last week, here's a GREAT TIT  :-)




No comments: