Saturday 29 November 2014

The expected sunshine didn't turn up until almost 11:00hrs this morning, when I had almost finished my full patch walk, however once the sun did come out it turned very warm for the time of year, later in the afternoon I found both Comma and Peacock Butterflies in my garden!

I found 41 species today, 2 less than yesterday, but there were a few species found this morning that weren't on yesterdays list, the first of those was a GREY HERON that flew over, the second were 13 FIELDFARE that did likewise just moments later.

On the lakes the first CANADA GEESE to turn up on a full patch walk since the 11th November were found, 8 of them were on the small lake. I then had some excitement, as I scanned the ornamental lake for the KINGFISHER I had heard, a female TEAL (69) was seen, it did a circuit of the lake before flying off Westwards, an excellent species to grace the months patch list and the one that makes it a record breaking November  :-)

I located LONG TAILED TIT, COAL TIT, GOLDCREST, TREECREEPER and BULLFINCH in the Scrubby Woods, but no Nuthatch were found. JAY, GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER, and GREEN WOODPECKER called from within the Wet Woods.

The Ashes Lane Field had an increase in MEADOW PIPITS, with 15 being seen, and the Greenhouse Grounds had the KESTREL pair hunting around them. A short skywatch in some very pleasant sunshine was at first not very productive, with just a few HERRING GULLS, BLACK HEADED GULLS, a YELLOWHAMMER and the local WOODPIGEONS and Corvids the only species seen, but I was very pleased to hear, then see, my first LAPWING (70) of the month fly over, another addition to the already record breaking month! 70 species for November is exceptional for here and there is still another patch visit to come!

I even took a few photo's today, just garden visitors  :-)

Great Spotted Woodpecker

GREENFINCH. Not had one of these on a full patch walk since November the 4th.

GREAT TIT

1 comment:

NatureStop said...

Awesome capture of the woodpecker.Greetings from Dubai! Really enjoyed going through your blog. Have a great week ahead! Will be back soon...

Shantana