Wednesday 28 October 2015

Heavy rain this morning turned lighter, eventually dying out by 09:30hrs, leaving sunny spells for the afternoon.

I let the heavy rain pass before heading out this morning, so I didn't get out until 08:00hrs. I didn't see much of interest in the wet conditions, October seems to be fizzling out tamely!  I visited the Lakes first off, seeing a flock of LONG TAILED TITS at the ashes Lane Fields on the way. There were 16 MALLARDS on the ornamental lake, with a few MOORHENS, but the main lake was, as usual, devoid of wildfowl, as was the small lake. I saw a flock of 6 BULLFINCHES in the Scrubby Woods and heard both NUTHATCH and COAL TIT calling, GREAT SPOTTED and GREEN WOODPECKERS also put in an appearance, and the male KESTREL was hunting overhead, the first I've seen of him since the 6th.

I had a quick look around the Wet Woods, where I found another Long Tailed Tit flock, with this one were 2 GOLDREST, 2 TREECREEPER, and a few BLUE and GREAT TITS.

Heading over to Migrant Alley and the Greenhouse Grounds 2 BUZZARDS were watched as they soared over the Wet Woods. The Greenhouse Grounds was by now well disturbed by the workers, so most of the SISKIN / GOLDFINCH flock had dispersed from the Alder trees, but the female Kestrel was back at her place.

Only a few BLACK HEADED GULLS and HERRING GULLS were out on the paddocks of Migrant Alley, along with a small flock of 20 or so STARLINGS, plus the mixed bunch of Corvids and WOODPIGEONS. With migration just about over, I dont expect to see much difference in the bird life out on the fields and paddocks now.

A short sky watch produced one or two each of MEADOW PIPIT, YELLOWHAMMER, LESSER REDPOLL, and SKYLARK, as well as a small flock of 6 REDWING and 12 FIELDFARE, the latter dropped down to feed in the Greenhouse Grounds boundary hedgerow for all of 45 seconds, before moving on. A skein of 24 GREYLAG GEESE were the only other notable species seen.

By mid afternoon the sunshine had reached the feeding station at my garden, but despite another hour sat in my shed hide, not a photo was taken, the SPARROWHAWK was busy yet again! looks like i'll have to dismantle my feeders!


I took these Starling shots earlier in the week



2 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Lovely clean background on today shots. Really makes for a good shot and focuses the eye straight in to the subject.

Warren Baker said...

Marc,
The background is an old blanket I have pinned to the wall of the house, the lengths I go to! :-)