Wednesday 14 October 2015

There was a bit of short lived sunshine this morning, thereafter, cloud and showery rain moved in for the afternoon.


Part of the skein of GREYLAG and CANADA GEESE flying over this morning

A five hour full patch walk this morning turned up 45 bird species, a little better than average, with some interest among them. My fist SNIPE (103,65) of the year was flushed up from the sheep pasture as I walked a circuit of Migrant Alley, a fortunate find, as I was only seconds in front of the sheep farmer and his gang ! Overhead there were small numbers of SKYLARK and SISKIN moving about, with the occasional HERRING GULL flying past, plus the above Geese passing to the east of me.  :-)

The Greenhouse Grounds had a work crew on site, but a few SISKIN, GOLDFINCH and at least 2 LESSER REDPOLL were in the Alders there, not much else was found apart from PIED WAGTAILS leaving the greenhouses, plus a few WRENS ROBINS, DUNNOCKS, BLUE TITS, GREAT TITS, BLACKBIRDS and the odd CHAFFINCH, all overlooked of course by the resident KESTREL.


Not much light for this photo and a horrible perch........nice bird though!


Robin at the Greenhouse Grounds


Three SWALLOWS were seen flying low over the Pub Field, a flock of a dozen or so MEADOW PIPITS flew up from the Ashes Lane Fields, where I saw a FIELDFARE speed through and higher up a CORMORANT flew over, then entering the Wet Woods I found the LONG TAILED TIT flock with the accompanying TREECREEPERS and GOLDCRESTS, a bit further in a BUZZARD was seen as it flew from its perch.

There was a pleasant surprise on the main lake when I arrived, a pair of MUTE SWANS (66) were present, an addition to the October list, maybe the ones that bred here in 2014 ? The adjacent Scrubby Woods provided NUTHATCH, COAL TIT, STOCK DOVE, BULLFINCH, SONGTHRUSH and JAY for the day list.


One of the Mute Swans On the main lake

Homeward bound through the Small Holding, another 3 Swallows flew through, the last of the year perhaps ? I also added GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER to the days tally....not before time! 

2 comments:

Pete Woodruff said...

Warren,I was getting worried as you hadn't posted when I looked at 8.30pm....the stress hasn't done me any favours!

Enjoyed reading about your adventures for today.

Warren Baker said...

Strange pete,
I posted at around 16:00hrs. I think blogger is slow to update sometimes :-)