Monday 12 October 2015

This morning was overcast, with a light NE wind making it feel very Autumnal.

Most of my 4 hour visit was spent watching the skies around Migrant Alley, which proved to be a good move as both FIELDFARE (62) and REDWING (63) were seen flying over just after dawn, the Redwing being a little later than the 14 year median average arrival date of the 8th Oct. While the 2 Fieldfare were a bit earlier than their 14 year median average arrival date of the 20th Oct.

The skies were pretty busy, in the two hours just after dawn I recorded many small parties of SKYLARK and MEADOW PIPIT headed NW, there were also LESSER REDPOLL and SISKIN moving about, a few of each dropped in to feed at the Alders in the Greenhouse grounds, joining the 30-40 that were already present, but they were very flighty, as the KESTREL was perched up on the greenhouses watching them  :-) A LAPWING was also seen heading NW, plus a GREY WAGTAIL dropped into the Greenhouse Grounds. I saw a group of 3 GREY HERONS fly westwards, plus 2 CORMORANTS went North. I noted the mass skeins of GREYLAG and CANADA GEESE fly over again, but this morning they were on a slightly different route, also they flew much higher, I wonder if they are moving on ? I will find out soon enough  :-)

I did have a check of the lakes around mid morning, on the way I saw my first COMMON GULL (64) of the month fly over the Ashes Lane Fields. The lakes were rather uninteresting though, with just the KINGFISHER of note and a few of the Greylag / Canada Geese which had dropped in.

This afternoon while watching my garden feeders, I saw both a male and female BLACKCAP feeding on a berrying tree ( I don't know what type of tree it is!) they were just feet from my upstairs viewing point, but in the poor light and through the double glazing the photo's turned out a bit....well....crap!


Only the male posed for me


A bit later in the afternoon the sun came out, so I took a few blog brighteners, thankfully, the Sprawk only came through twice this afternoon  :-)


COAL TIT


GREAT TIT


CHAFFINCH

No comments: