Wednesday 30 October 2013

The old shack in the Ashes lane Field, enveloped in fog
Dense fog first thing this morning took a couple of hours to burn off, thereafter the morning was pleasantly sunny and very mild.

Walking past the Greenhouse Grounds first thing, I heard a lot of alarm calls coming from there, CHAFFINCH, BLACKBIRD, BLUE TIT, even a HOUSE SPARROW was annoyed at something in the line of Alders, it turned out to be a LITTLE OWL, which flew off into the fog as I drew near to investigate.

I carried on over to the Lakes, via the Ashes lane field, passing the old shack (above) , I couldn't see much as I went, but heard MAGPIES chattering, and JACKDAWS 'chakking'  as well as a few SKYLARK calling as they flew over.

A mist was rising from the Main Lake, where a CORMORANT fished and 8 MALLARD dabbled under the overhang of the trees.
Misty Main lake
On the adjacent Ornamental Lake I was pleased to see the MUTE SWANS had returned, a few MOORHENS were also here, and the KINGFISHER obliged yet again, the Small lake had a few more Mallards and Moorhens, but I felt a bit disappointed at not finding a different Duck species for the October list  :-(

As the fog lifted, I encountered the likes of BULLFINCH, GOLDCREST, COAL TIT, TREECREEPER, NUTHATCH, JAY, MISTLETHRUSH, SONGTHRUSH, and both GREEN and GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER, all in the Scrubby Woods.
COLLARED DOVE at the Scrubby woods/ Lakes area
With the fog fully lifted I returned to the Greenhouse grounds, where only a dozen or so of the GOLDFINCH from yesterdays flock were seen, but the scrub and vegetation there was buzzing with DUNNOCKS, WRENS, ROBINS, BLACKBIRDS, plus BLUE and GREAT TITS, a couple of PIED WAGTAILS sat on the Greenhouse roofs, along with a MEADOW PIPIT, and as I made my way to my sky watching seat, a flock of LONG TAILED TITS flitted past me.
Long Tailed Tit, pity it didn't look up!
I settled on my seat over looking Migrant Alley for a couple of hours sky watching, ever hopeful for that new species to add to the months list. I saw BLACK HEADED and HERRING GULLS, plus just one LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL, lots more Skylarks went over, mostly in singles, and few more Meadow Pipits also went past, a pair of BUZZARDS were up soaring, but only one KESTREL was seen today. A lone FIELDFARE was nice to see, the only winter thrush seen here for a few days now, but apart from the local ROOKS, CARRION CROWS and STARLINGS my vigil didn't deliver anything new for the month, so I still remain two species short of the record October tally, and with just one more day to go, it looks unlikely that I shall beat it  :-(

I saw a Migrant Hawker, and at least 5 Common Darter dragonflies as I sat in the warm sunshine, so early this afternoon, I came back with my macro set up and got some photo's
Common Darter
Common Darter
Common Darter
Common Darter
This may be a Ruddy darter, I cant make my mind up - anyone ?

3 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Re. your last Darter shot , abdomen not waisted enough for Ruddy and yellow stripes , showing on front legs make it a Common .

Warren Baker said...

Thanks Greenie, I hoped you might sort it out :-)

Marc Heath said...

Nice to see some Dragons still flying. Love the misty lake shot, very atmospheric.