Monday 14 October 2013

This morning I completed the full patch walk that I had to postpone yesterday, conditions were much more favourable, although it was dull and overcast there was little wind, and no rain  :-)

In the four hours I was out a total of 45 species was recorded, about par for an October day, but it was unusual not to see a Songthrush or any kind of raptor today. Winter thrushes continue to trickle through, with two small flocks of REDWING and 3 single FIELDFARE flying over, on the other side of the coin, summer birds were also represented by SWALLOW, two of which flew over Migrant Alley, and CHIFFCHAFF of which four singles were found, one giving a few notes of song.
BLACKBIRD on one of the battered hedges at Migrant Alley
The lakes chipped in with a few species today, for as well as the MALLARD and MOORHEN that can be seen daily here, today there was a CORMORANT, a GREY HERON and a KINGFISHER all fishing in their respective styles :-)

The Scrubby Woods, Wet Woods and Small holding turned up most of the regular and not so regular species between them, COAL TIT, LONG TAILED TIT, GOLDCREST, NUTHATCH, TREECREEPER,BULLFINCH and LITTLE OWL being among the latter described, with the likes of GREEN and GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKERS, JAY, GREENFINCH, and PHEASANT less scarce, but still only seen in singles.

My sky watch, from my seat at Migrant Alley, today produced 3 gull species, HERRING, BLACK HEADED and LESSER BLACK BACKED, as well as my second Grey Heron of the day, the second Little Owl for the visit was also recorded when one called from the nearby Greenhouse Copse. A REED BUNTING that flew over was a good species to find, but apart from a few PIED WAGTAILS and a couple of MISTLE THRUSH it was a relatively quiet sky today.

Having not recorded anything for the months list was not too disappointing, as there is not too much that can be expected now, maybe a Lesser Redpoll will turn up, or a duck species on the lake, maybe even a late summer species will yet be found. However, on my return home, I put the kettle on and scanned the garden feeders whilst it boiled, within a minute of looking through my Elder tree, I had found a BRAMBLING (68), my first of the Autumn, a very nice bird to have at the garden feeding station! So i got my October addition after all, taking the months tally to 68, putting in in joint fourth place out of 12 along with 2008 and 2009   :-)

The garden was particularly active this afternoon, the Sparrowhawk seems to have gone for a while, allowing the birds to feed freely. As well as the Brambling, I also had a Treecreeper, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Coal Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Nuthatch, and Wren all coming in with the more regular Tits and finchs, in all 22 species were recorded this afternoon. Not bad for a 50ft x 30ft garden  :-)

I tried to photograph some of the garden birds again, but the light was pretty awful and I gave up after an hour or so, here's the best of a bad lot though!  
The GOLDFINCH have found the Teasel heads I have left to go to seed, much nicer to see them on those rather than a feeder, just need some light on them!
Goldfinch
Greenfinch



4 comments:

Ken. said...

Warren.
Nice to see a few winter thrushes arriving. Your garden species is something to be proud of, what a great sight to see them feeding in your garden on and off.

Warren Baker said...

Hi Ken,
Just wish I had a bigger garden!

Jason K said...

Nice one on the Brambling Warren. I don't expect to see any in these parts for a few weeks yet

Warren Baker said...

Jase, I dont 'expect' to see Bramblings here at all :-) I just hope!