Sunday 15 June 2008

Another cracking morning for being out on my patch. This didn't make it any easier to find the summer migrants though, few were singing. A LESSER WHITETHROAT sang from the hedgerow on the golfcourse, a CUCKOO gave a brief and stuttering cuck- cuck -cuckoo, from the scrub area around the lake, where also a pair of BLACKCAPS were foraging for food, and a CHIFFCHAFF called in the background. A GARDEN WARBLER gave a short burst of song from the tree nursery, where the YELLOWHAMMER was singing from his songpost atop a pine tree. At migrant alley it was just ROOKS and other corvids, a flyover GREY HERON and the usual SWALLOWS, SWIFTS and HOUSE MARTINS spinning above. As I walked on to the college grounds and gardens I saw a SPOTTED FLYCATCHER, the first seen here since mid may. I wonder if they are breeding here, as in other years? I'll have to keep a close lookout. Also I saw the first sighting this month of the PEREGRINE, putting in a brief appearance, flying over low and vanishing behind the treeline. So all in all, it was a good morning out, with 51 species being recorded, and I didn't see a Jay!

This Whitethroat was in an Oak tree, in the headland at migrant alley, with at least two fledged young. The Whitethroats are more abundant on my patch this year, and appear to be doing well.



Thought i'd put these two Nuthatch photo's on, always a nice bird to see. Although they are looking a it dull after their breeding exertions.




Back to Damselflies! Now I think this could well be a White Legged Damselfly. The pattern on the second segment doesn't seem to fit the Common or Azure blue. Also it has got somewhat ''swollen'' tibia, and the legs look white to me! Anyone agree?



last of all, just to say yesterday evening at 20:30 a LITTLE EGRET flew over my house, I saw it from the front window whist watching telly. This is the 86th species i've recorded in and around my garden.




6 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Starting from the top , blue eyes ,
broad creamy/white tibia , sword in scabbard marking on segment 2 ,
black dorsal line on segments 3,4&5
I think your ID was spot on .

Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

Well done with tha day list of 51, i was at Sevenoaks WR and managed 48 species, also found 2 Bee Orchids! Well done
josh

Warren Baker said...

Thanks greenie,
Hurrah! Maybe i'm getting the hang of these Damsels.

Thanks Josh.
I've never seen a Bee Orchid

Steve said...

Looks good for White legged to me Warren. nice one!

lee said...

hi warren good photos of the nuthatch i love too see them my patch is whetstead gravel pits between 5oakgreen &goldengreen thats south too north &fromhartlake bridge toothe hopfarm hope that makes sense its a row of pits that run along the medway

Simon said...

Super photos Warren - welldone with the Whitethroat. Great to hear about the White-legged.