Sunday 1 June 2008

A new month, and the usual count up of every bird encountered took place in dull damp conditions this morning. I expected WOODPIGEON (78) to be the most numerous species, but a large flock of over 200 STARLINGS took that honour, the third most numerous species was the ROOK (58). There was a good number of BLACKBIRDS about too, I counted 45.
Now June is here I don't really expect to add any new species for the year, but you never can tell ! The best June total was back in 2005, when I recorded 64 species, so that will be my target this month, the average june species total is 62 - so todays total of 48 is a good start, especially as I heard the WILLOW WARBLERS singing, a species not recorded in june before.
I went and checked all the nest boxes as well this morning, and all but one box, containing 11 ''ready to go'' blue tits, had fledged all their young, a good year for them.

This LITTLE OWL posed for just one pic, then it was off!


7 comments:

Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

Everyone is seeing Little owls! But not me, I still have never seen one,, it's just not fair! Keep up the great blog!
Cheers
Josh

John Young said...

Your blue tits are doing better than mine, just not sure what is going on. They seem to be feeding something but the quietest chicks i've ever (not) heard. Cheers, John

Steve said...

Fingers crossed for a great June Warren....

Simon said...

Welldone with the Little Owl Warren. I think the young in my only used nestbox this year have unfortunately died, that would be 2 years in a row. I wonder what went wrong.

Warren Baker said...

Josh- Scan the fence posts and dead tree branch's on a sunny evening, once you find one they are generally faithful to the post/branch

Simon,
Are you sure they havn't fledged? should be plenty of food about in this wet weather.

Dave Jordan said...

Hi Warren
Like your Little Owl shot, keep up the good work
Dave Jordan

Warren Baker said...

Cheers Dave,
I will do just that!