Thursday 12 June 2008

It was back to the cool and wet weather this morning, and the most noteworthy occurrence was that there was a newly fledged family of COMMON WHITETHROAT, it was the family of the very first Whitethroat I found this year, on the boundary of migrant alley.
This afternoons visit consisted of the usual walk around the lake area, where again TURTLE DOVES were heard, along with CHIFFCHAFF and Common Whitethroat, I also cut through the tree nursery and was pleased to see the months first COMMON BUZZARD fly high over, then come down lower, before being chased off by some corvids. I always get a bit excited when spying a large raptor coming over, thinking it may be a Harrier species, or an Osprey even, then get the ''Oh its just a Buzzard'' feeling when it finally gets identified. I shouldn't really feel this way, as it is only recently that this species has colonised this area, and when I saw the first one over my patchI was jumping up and down!
Back in the Garden, the first HOUSE SPARROW Juvenile was recorded, and the female GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER, brought in a Juv. to feed on the peanuts

Juv. GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER (red on crown)
It looked a bit lost on the floor! not it's preferred habitat.

Yea, I know its a crappy photo, but I wanted a pic of a Buzzard over my patch, and i think this is my best chance! ( Buzzard at the bottom :-) )


Jackdaws are coming into the garden more frequently now. Probably something to do with the fat pellets I put out!



The first Fledged HOUSE SPARROW. A well grown one at that.




3 comments:

Tony Morris said...

Hi, several times, at this time of year, I've had young G. S. Woodpeckers come and sit on the ground and then go into a sort of trance. It even happened with one on a peanut feeder, I walked up to it and touched its wing before it woke up and flew off. They can be strange birds!

Warren Baker said...

Hi Tony,
I wonder if they go dizzy, when not vertical!

lee said...

hi warren i no what you mean about the buzzaards but there still awsome too watch it must be incredable too soar the thermals so gracfully we quite often see them at work sealchart they are possably nesting in heaverham and the quarry at boroughgreen iv also seen them a idehill north of boughbeach i love raptors big pike are impressive as well