Tuesday 24 June 2008

A repeat of yesterdays weather and yesterdays birds this morning. WHITETHROAT singing in Ashes Lane, SKYLARK over migrant alley, and the PEREGRINE at his lookout post.
This afternoon I decided to go over to migrant alley for some skywatching, I was rewarded almost immediately with 7 LAPWING flying over, a bit tatty, as they were moulting flight feathers, but a welcome addition to the month list. A little later, and a HOBBY flew over, with two more over ashes lane as I walked home. Next up was a pair of KESTRELS, hovering over the newly cut grass field. After an hour or so I decided to visit the now diminishing pool of water, and again there were 3 male Broad Bodied Chasers, with 15 - 20 Azure Damselflies. I also saw a newt eft, and a water boatman. Such a mixture of life in a pool of water no more than 3 inch's deep. The lake at the other side of my patch holds much less life, but then, its got huge great carp in it which eat everything!

This Hobby flew right over my head!
It came back to check me out! ( poor pics, but you don't get much time with these birds)


A Kestrel also came to check me out

It also went right over my head



Broad Bodied Chaser (couldn't resist another couple of pics)






A newt Eft, better grow them legs quick, as the water is drying out rapidly!
Water Boatman, they swim upside down, just under the waters surface







7 comments:

Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

Well done with the Kestrel and Hobby photos! I love the broad bodied chasers, loveley!
Well done
Josh

Steve said...

Nice varied post warren - good pic of the eft

Greenie said...

Warren ,
You mentioned getting more odonata
books . Before buying look at 'Field Guide to the Dragonflies
and Damselflies of GB&I ' by
Steve Brooks .ISBN 0-953-13990-5 .
The Kent Recorder recommended it to
me , and I have found it very good indeed , but expensive , I paid £18.95 a few years ago .
Greenie

Warren Baker said...

Thanks Steve, thanks Josh.

Greenie,
Ive noted the book. seems like an odonata type xmas prezzy is coming my way.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Warren: Wonderful photos of the birds and bugs, caught up with you on Travis (Iowa) blog.

I live in Kent, Ohio, USA so your town is of natural interest to me.

Simon said...

Nice post with some great photos Warren.

Mike said...

Nice detail on the Kestral shots Warren and the dragonflys are crackers.