Monday 8 September 2008

Another migrant filled day today, (for my patch anyway!). I found yesterday's WHEATEAR in Migrant Alley this morning whilst walking in to work, or was it another one? Also 4 YELLOW WAGTAILS dropped into one of the paddocks whilst I was scanning it, bit of luck! I couldn't find anything in the paddocks on the way home, so after a quick bit of lunch I returned there. I was a bit fed up when I got there as the college stables were showing 15-20 new students the horse jumps, which meant they were walking right round migrant alley. Anyway I sat and watched one of the fields and it wasn't long before I heard the piercing call of a Yellow Wagtail, it went over my head and dropped down some 30m away. I decided to walk around the maize crop, and upon entering the paddock where this mornings Wheatear was, I relocated it. Some twenty minutes later it was joined by a WHINCHAT, which just appeared! Then ten minutes futher passed and there were 3 Wheatears in the paddock, again I didn't see them arrive.
After the excitment of seeing the Osprey yesterday, I thought today was going to be a bit of an anti-climax, but it turned out to be another great visit. There was also another MEADOW PIPIT, that flew over, as did a HOBBY, and 3 CHIFFCHAFF were seen in various parts of the scrub at the north end of Migrant Alley.
I also saw a large raptor, way to the south-east, but it was to distant to make anything of it, probably a Common Buzzard.

Above is the SONGTHRUSH that I was photographing when yesterdays Osprey went over. I forgot to post it in my excitement!

Above: Another Whinchat at Migrant Alley. If you click on the pic below and enlarge it, you'll find a Whinchat and Wheatear



Below is the Hobby that went belting through at some speed!




6 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Happy days are here again .

darrell j prest said...

another good day

hope it lasts

John Young said...

Hi warren, I like your shot of the hobby. It really feels like the bird is zooming through the picture, could be somethingto do with the wing shape you have managed to capture.

John Young said...

Hi warren, I like your shot of the hobby. It really feels like the bird is zooming through the picture, could be somethingto do with the wing shape you have managed to capture.

Stewart said...

Yes I like the Hobby too, its like a Sooty Shearwater! Now that would be a suprise on Migrant Alley...

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Warren: Those are some cool captures, nicely done with your neat birds.