Monday 29 September 2008

As I left for work this morning I heard SISKINS flying overhead, I scanned the sky and saw 5 flying north, a nice start to the day. The day got better when, I found a STONECHAT at Migrant Alley, it just popped up on a fencepost in front of me, I don't know who surprised who the most!
Good and bad news this afternoon. Good news, an Osprey was seen flying low over Migrant Alley at around 10:15 (thanks Dave) - Bad news I was at work. Grrrrrr.... Oh well, I did get to see a couple earlier in the month.
I spent 3 hours out at migrant alley this afternoon, but the Stonechat had gone, as had yesterday's Whinchat. The LINNETS, (around 100) and MEADOW PIPITS were all feeding in the stubbles, joined by 20 or so PIED WAGTAILS and a handfull of GOLDFINCH'S. Frequent attacks on the flocks by SPARROWHAWK, a male and female, kept the birds on their toes, also a KESTREL had them all flying up. LESSER BLACK BACKED, HERRING, and BLACK HEADED GULL flew over, all going to a field that was being ploughed, off my patch, and the usual corvid flock were about, sometimes flying up on mass, as if a large bird of prey had upset them, but none was seen. A small froup of SWALLOWS went over, as did a small group of HOUSE MARTINS, the only other summer vistor seen was a CHIFFCHAFF.


Above and below : This rather smart DUNNOCK gave me some great photo opportunities.

Below a ROOK flying over, one of a flock numbering 60 - 80 birds



6 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Really like the Dunnock shots ,
the light caught them perfectly .

Warren Baker said...

Thanks Greenie,
It's not often I get close enough to a bird, and have the light in my favour, AND have the next post up to lean on!

Steve said...

Corking Dunnock pic.....another Osprey? That would have been greedy (esp as I haven't seen one)

Kingsdowner said...

Cracking Duinnock pics - they're reappeared with a vengeance (presumably some migrants too?)
Siskins are flying over in good numbers now, so hopefully we may get another siskin spring.

Simon said...

Fantastic Dunnock photo Warren.

Mike said...

Cracking shots Warren, very sharp and clear. Mike.