Thursday 18 September 2008

On the way home from work this afternoon, I arrived at migrant alley eager to find the WHEATEAR that I had seen at 07:00 this morning. However I saw that the Maize field was being harvested, and the last few runs of the harvester were taking place. I sat and watched the last bits of crop fall, and out came at least 6 CHIFFCHAFF, 10 MEADOW PIPIT, 8 LINNET, 3 WHINCHAT and a SKYLARK. It was hard to concentrate on anything for more than a few seconds, all the birds headed for the fenceline or the headland to the north of the fields.
I decided to rush home and get my Telescope and camera. On my return I soon found the 3 Whinchat, catching insects from the fence line, also a KESTREL hoverred nearby. A mixed flock of some 20-30 birds, Linnet and Meadow Pipit, fed in the stubbles and a few SWALLOWS and HOUSE MARTINS fed overhead. As I sat and waited, a SPARROWHAWK came through, and was promptly seen off by the ROOKS. A little later I had my first sighting of the PEREGRINE this month, it flew high over and alighted on the tower. Another good sighting was 3 YELLOW WAGTAILS that circled round, and went back north into another field off my patch.
Today may well be one of the last decent influx of Whinchat, Wheatear and Yellow Wagtail, but I do expect singles of the latter two species right into October. Who knows, i might even get that Stonechat Ive been trying for!

A Comma Butterfly was out in the sunshine. You can see the white ''Comma'' on its wing

Above and below: Whinchats

Below shows the fenceline that the Whinchats were in, and the maize stubbles. Also the scrub/wood headland, on the righthand side in the distance.





1 comment:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Warren: Really cool view of the Comma with a great explanation. When the wings are closed it looks like a leaf.