Monday 15 September 2008

It was quite cool this morning as I walked to work, and not many birds were about first thing. Most of the SWALLOWS seem to have left, I didn't notice much gathering on wires this year. By the time I reached the college grounds things picked up slightly, with TREECREEPER, GOLDCREST and CHIFFCHAFF in song, and a NUTHATCH calling.
This afternoon I did the usual walk round the tree nursery and around Migrant Alley, only the common stuff was seen in the former, BLACKBIRDS, DUNNOCKS, WRENS, ROBINS and the like, all the time I was watching the sky for one of those migrant Honey Buzzards.
At Migrant Alley a YELLOW WAGTAIL flew over, and in the scrub/wood headland, a Blackcap showed itself, and a LESSER WHITETHROAT was seen, another one was seen later, in the blackberry tangle under one of the power pylons at the sports pitch. The only bird flushed from the maize crop was a YELLOWHAMMER, the first this month, a once common bird here, but it now seems to be declining. The LINNET flock has grown slightly, 45 were counted in one of the paddocks, with a dozen GOLDFINCH.

Things seem to be slowing down at the 'alley' , I didn't even get any photo's.!!

1 comment:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Warren: I do love it when I get to see your birds.