Thursday 21 February 2008

Robins always want their pic. taken!

It was dull and mild this morning, not good for pics, but at least the low sun wasn't a continually making me squint! I left at 7:00 am, and by the time I had walked up ashes lane - from my house to the footpath, that leads to the golf course, some 300m, I had noted 22 species of birds. The lane is flanked on one side by pasture, and the other by mainly large, mature gardens, with some large oak trees. Always a good place to pick up the garden species - Tits, Thrushes, finch's as well as NUTHATCH, TREECREEPER, and the odd GREY HERON in the field. The Golfcourse was busy, birdwise, 10 GREY LAG GEESE were resting with 2 CANADA GEESE, a mixed flock of at least 60 FIELDFARE and REDWING were feeding on the fareway, also, a group of 24 MOORHEN fed together, I don't recall seeing so many in one gathering.

Once at the lake area I scanned around the edges, where I found another ( or the same?) coot. A Grey Heron fished under a overhanging willow tree, and the usual MALLARDS were dabbling around,but the Teal had moved on however. The wet woods were reletively quiet, just a few GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKERS drummed and chased each other through the bare branches, the TEAL were located here, a pair, hiding in the cover of the dead wood.

On the way to migrant alley 5 HERRING GULLS drifted over, in perfect formation. When I reached the fields there were a min of 200 Fieldfare, 50 Redwing and 2 MISTLE THRUSH. The best bird of the day though was found flying low over the stream behind Hadlow College, then alighting in a tree, I tried to get a pic. of the LITTLE EGRET (66), but it was too far away, and after getting halfway near enough, a dog walker, belowing down his mobile scared it off!

An excellent morning, with 45 species seen, plus a COAL TIT to add that was seen at the feeders this afternoon. Out again tomorrow.

No comments: