Friday 29 February 2008

It was pretty grim walking home from work today, the wind had got up and the rain was starting to fall. However, I did stop long enough at migrant alley to see at least 700 STARLING feeding in the pasture, with them were 100min FIELDFARE and a sprinkling of REDWING, It was difficult to count them, as they kept flying up and mixing together.
It was a bit disappointing not to get out some more on the final day of the month, but looking at the records I had done quite well. A best ever Feb. total of 63 species had been recorded, better than the previous high of 59, achieved last year, and some way better than the Feb. average of 57.5. The total for all February's combined is 75 - still room to get better! I was surprised to see that I had found 6 species this Feb. that have not been seen in any other ; MARSH TIT, LESSER SPOTTED WOODPECKER, PEREGRINE, BUZZARD, LITTLE EGRET and LITTLE GREBE. Keeping all these records and stats helps me keep up the enthusiasm for my patchwatching and allows me to see the changes that occurr, I'm not really a mental lister!!

I was greeted by an empty garden when I arrived home, the SPARROWHAWK was back up to its usual tricks, hiding in the leylandi type tree on the boundary of my garden. He waits till the finch's come in, allowing the Tits to feed, then dives after a Green or chaffinch.

Stats for garden ( for those who can stand more figures!) Total species in garden this month -22. The Feb. average is 22.7. The total number of species to visit in combined February's is 33. Only one species was new to Feb, the MARSH TIT. 2006 and 2007 hold the Feb. record for species in the garden with 23.

It was to dull and wet for pics so here's some from yesterday.


Blue Tit
Jackdaw

Great Tit


Starling
Goldfinch............................Greenfinch





No comments: