Thursday 28 February 2008

This afternoon I spent from 2 - 4:15pm watching the garden, armed with mugs of tea and a few biscuits! There was more activity than I expected, now that I have moved all the feeders into cover, the sparrowhawk finds easier pickings elsewhere. 15 species came to dine within the confines of the garden, and another 14 missed out, and stayed in the vacinity looking on. I took some pics, but the light was a bit poor. Bird of the day was a BRAMBLING. a real treat.

Ten of the species are pictured below, the other 5 species seen were, BLUE and GREAT TIT, DUNNOCK, ROBIN, and STARLING


House Sparrow - This male bears a colour ring. It is part of a survey I am doing with the local ringer.


Coal Tit, Enjoying a sunflower heart

Bird of the day, Brambling, a great addition


Great Spotted Woodpecker, one of 3 that chased around the garden



Greenfinch Chaffinch




Male Greenfich, Coming into its breeding plumage (ringed)





Goldfinch - Gorgeous!






Collared Dove







Blurry Female Blackbird








One of a pair of Nuthatch, (you can just see the ring on its left leg, against the tree.)









4 comments:

Mike said...

What a great collection of birds you have visiting, especially with the Brambling and Nuthatch. I too was recently visited by one and was suprised how stunning they are, nuthatches too look so strong and streamlined, great post. Mike.

Simon said...

Wow! Brambling in the garden. I wish one would pay me a visit.

Warren Baker said...

Thanks for the comments Mike and Simon. I've only had visits from Bramblings in 3 of the 8 years i've lived here, all invloving singles, apart from a pair last autumn. So to get 2 visits in a month is quite something!

Kingsdowner said...

Good selection of birds there - well done (I bet you keep your windows clean for the photots!)