Thursday 10 April 2008

After a light frost this morning, the sun shone intermittently throughout the day, taking away the chill. Again I visited all the habitats over my patch, but only for 4 hours today. Iwas a bit miffed not to find a new spring arrival, but most of the species I saw yesterday turned up again today, including the MUTE SWANS, which were on one of the small lakes, also a SISKIN, that flew over, calling loudly as it did so, and still a pair of TEAL were in the wet woods, I wonder if they will stay on and breed ? Another leftover winter migrant was a lone FIELDFARE, making it the latest on record, that and a lone MEADOW PIPIT weren't recorded yesterday, so 54 species in two days is very good for my patch. The KINGFISHER dashed past me as I was trying to cross the stream, it alighted within photographing distance - but all I got was a boot full of water, as I tried to get a position to get a pic! I'll be out again tomorrow, maybe the Cuckoo will call, or the Nightingale will sing.

Starling - In spanking spring plumage, not just a dull black bird!

No comments: