Thursday 24 April 2008

A second LESSER WHITETHROAT was heard calling this afternoon as I walked home from work, it was along the streamside brambles behind the college. No new migrants were seen on the way in this morning, but there was a GREY WAGTAIL on the stream, where it meets the Tonbridge road.
This afternoons visit to the scrub area was not conducive to finding singing Nightingales, due to a bloody great thunder shower. It thundered and rained for an hour, but some hardy SONGTHRUSH were still giving their best, as did a couple of BLACKBIRDS. A Kestrel flew over while I was sheltering, and a couple of HERRING GULLS, but nothing exciting, so I watched the lightning for a while.
A quick look over migrant alley only produced 2 LESSER BLACK BACKED GULLS, a pair of LINNETS, and 4 SWALLOWS.
I don't think my afternoon visits are as productive as my morning rounds, so it will probably be the weekend before I get the next migrant species.
This Nuthatch posed for a photo, just before the thunder came





4 comments:

Steve said...

I had my first Lesser Whitethroat of the year today....lets see who can manage the first picture of one!!!! They are so elusive. Call and move...worse than Cettis!! Nice Nuthatch pictures!

Simon said...

Very nice Nuthatch photos. During a lecture at the college today a Yellowhammer could be heard singing outside at about half 5.

lee said...

awsome pictures of the nuthatch iv never seen a nuthatch on top of a tree like that perhaps it thinks its a stonechat

Warren Baker said...

Lee,
it is unusual to see a Nuthatch pose on top of a tree like this one, I suspect it had a nest nearby and was getting a good vantage point.