Friday 25 April 2008

I said in yesterdays post ''The next new migrant species won't be seen until the weekend'' How wrong was I ?
I walked into work this morning and heard a COMMON WHITETHROAT (80) It briefly sang from a small piece of hedge, dividing Migrant alley and the sports pitch at hadlow College, all this excitement while a CUCKOO called from over the lake area, set me nicely up for a mornings work.
On the way home I didn't locate the Whitethroat, but another visit after lunch paid off when I found it again in the same hedge. the ploughed field was being drilled with maize seed, so I moved off to the lake area via the tree nursery As I passed the hedgerow along the nursery boundary another whitethroat sang, an excellent afternoons work! Once at the scrubby area, by the lakes I sat and listened as usual, but still no Nightingale, will they return to breed this year I wonder? After 30mins I gave up, but I just thought I give the treetops and telephone cables a quick scan, and I'm glad I did, there on the cables sat a pair of TURTLE DOVES (81).Two days later than last years first date, but only a day later than the six year mean. Two new migrants in one day, brilliant!

Pair Of Turtle Doves - Managed to dodge the barrage of hunters guns over the med.
Hopefully they will be joined by more later.

This Yellowhammer was on the fence at migrant alley


Now a scarce bird here.



As is the LINNET, this was on the fence at the opposite side of the field




Tjis Speckled Wood butterfly was at the Scrubby area. The first chance I've had to photo one.





2 comments:

Simon said...

Sounds like you've had a brilliant day!! Brilliant to hear about the Turtle Doves, welldone mate. Super photos too!!

Steve said...

Great photos Warren. Sounds like you had a great day...looking forward to logging in later and seening what you've seen today....you must be due a Hobby soon?