Tuesday 29 April 2008

What a disappointing day! It was throwing it down this morning, so I got a lift in to work - best chance of seeing something gone already! I walked home through migrant alley at about 13:00hrs, but just 2 HERRING GULLS and a dozen or so SWALLOWS were all that was visible. The weather was for persistant rain all afternoon, and looking to the south, dark clouds were building, so i made the decision to watch the garden feeders, and scan the sky for swifts or a Hobby from my bedroom window. None of the latter were seen, and to my annoyance it didn't rain until 17:15hrs!
It wasn't a complete loss though. 27 species were seen, 14 used the garden, the rest were in the vacinity, or flying over, the best of those were 3 BUZZARDS, high over migrant alley, and a KESTREL that glided low over my rooftop.
In 3rhs only 1 HOUSE SPARROW and 1 STARLING came into the garden, these two species are the most wary, they know its not safe to feed with the Sparrowhawk continually coming in, although funny enough I didn't see it today - maybe a cat got it !

Still a few hours of light left, so maybe i'll see something whilst i'm in the kitchen doing dinner.

This pair of Woodpigeon have become regular visitors since the winter. It used to be very rare for a wood pigeon the come into my small garden.


A peak of 5 Greenfinch's were at the sunflower hearts - a far cry from the 80+ I used to get!

A peak total of 8 Goldfinch used the feeders, not as good as the 50+ I used to have before the sparrowhawk days!


Keep an eye out guys !!!



1 comment:

Travis said...

Great post. Sorry you had such a frustrating day. The shots of the goldfinch are great.