Monday 28 April 2008

Not much change on my patch today, I'm still awaiting the arrival of the last 5 regular migrant species that appear annually on my patch :- Nightingale, Garden Warbler, Spotted Flycatcher, swift and Hobby. After, or if they arrive, its gets difficult to add new species for the year. My aim is to reach 100 for the first time, the best effort was last years 99!

I visited the lake area, via the wet woods, where a fox was upsetting the MALLARDS with thier ducklings, and the MOORHENS with thier black balls of down, spinning about them. Just before I entered the wet woods, I was shown a LITTLE OWL by an upset ''pink, pink, pinking BLACKBIRD, thanks for that ! At the lake area all was very quiet, only the CHIFFCHAFF and the WILLOW WARBLER were singing. I went over to migrant alley, via the tree nursery, where the trees were still being taken out, I don't think this area is going to be worth watching for the next few months. A few HERRING GULLS were on the Maize field, with 2 LESSER BLACK BACKED GULLLS, a dozen or so PIED WAGTAILS and 4 LINNETS. A SKYLARK sang over head and a KESTREL hovered over the greenhouses. The now obligatory SPARROWHAWK was displaying, his mate joined him and they disappeared over the Hadlow housing estate.
Starlings have become very much in evidence again, as they fly to and from their nests with beakfulls of food, the eggs have obviously hatched, it won't be long now before the air is filled with screeching mobs!

In here somewhere is a Little owl, can you see it ?
A bit closer, see it now ?

There it is!


1 comment:

Simon said...

Nice to hear about the Little Owl.