Wednesday 23 April 2008

The hoped for Whitethroat didn't call or appear this morning, in fact it was quiet all round as I walked across the fields to work. On the way home, they sky was a uniform grey, making it easy to pick out any flyovers, if they had flown over, which they did not! After refreshments at home, I went off out, again to the Scrubby area by the lakes. I only had 90 mins so I spent it all listening to the songsters :- BLACKCAP, CHIFFCHAFF, WILLLOW WARBLER and a flyover SWALLOW were the only spring visitors heard. The sun broke through, and it became warm, raising the hopes for a bit of Nightingale song, or the Whitethroats speedily delivered notes, but no, not today, how disappointing. I suppose the presence of a pair of displaying SPARROWHAWKS low over the area, didn't help much! I did manage to get a pic. of my first GRASSNAKE though.

As I neared home I saw the MISTLE THRUSH fly up to its nest above my front door, it wont be long now before the young ones fledge.


Here's my first ever Grass snake pic. Cute or what ?
The Bluebells in the wet woods are now just about at thier best

Grey Heron - saw me coming, as usual.


One of the displaying Sparrowhawks over head at the scrub area. Why do they always follow me around ?



5 comments:

Steve said...

Nice Grass Snake pic Warren...

Warren Baker said...

Cheers Steve,
They really are difficult to sneak up on!

lee said...

hello i think i see you last week walking down higham lane i was on mytoo work in sealchart idid see a buzard above grangefarm the other day and tonight iv been watching a pair of hobbies in 5oakgreen

Simon said...

Nice Grass Snake shot Warren. Was at the college today in the rain this morning. Saw Sparrowhawk, Kingfisher, and Grey Wag along the stretch of the River by the student car park.

Warren Baker said...

Lee,
If the person you saw was wearing a green coat and hat, with bins and camara round his neck - then yes it was me!

Simon,
thats the stretch of river that I walk down, my patch ends where the river goes under the road. I saw the Grey Wagtail this morning as well.