Monday 7 April 2008

Yesterdays snowfall was was lingering on, and it was pretty cool as I left home this morning at 6:30am. Consequently very little bird song was heard, the woods should be ringing with it at this time of year! still havn't heard a Blackcap yet, but there were 2 more WILLOW WARBLERS this time on the edge of the waterlogged woods, it was here on one of the pools that I discovered the first brood of MALLARDS, about 10 in all, it was a surprise to see that 4 of them were bright yellow, not a good tactic for predator avoidance!
The best bird of the day was a COMMON BUZZARD that soared high over migrant alley, otherwise it was the usual mix of species, although the TREECREEPER was the first this month.
Whilst walking past a garden hedge, I noticed a superb male GREENFINCH, I was surprised how close I got to it, so I readied my camera, it then flapped vigorously and I realised it was trapped. Somehow it's head was in a noose, formed by a piece of knitting wool, the other end was tied to a branch. After a few secs, I had untangled him, after checking him over I released him and he flew off stongly. It's such a good feeling freeing a trapped animal/bird, makes you feel good!

Last of the snow on the golf course (at least it puts the mowers out of action!)
Here are 2 of the four ''Bright yellow'' ducklings, note the ''proper'' colour of the others

A handsom looking Canada goose paid a visit to one of the paddocks at migrant alley


Goldcrest



Headless Treecreeper - blighters never keep still!




3 comments:

Steve said...

Great to hear about the Greenfinch Warren! also some good pics...especially the Goldcrest...better than any Goldcrest pics I have!!! quite pleased to at last get some pics of my local Adder today.

Simon said...

Great shots Warren. Have never got a decent photo of a Goldcrest before, welldone.

Warren Baker said...

Thanks for the comments guys, I spent ages waiting for that goldcrest to come out of cover!