Thursday 23 October 2008

Heavy cloud scudded by in the strong wind this afternoon, not the best conditions for finding birds. The best of what I did find, was a GREY WAGTAIL, feeding on the now diminishing manure heap at Migrant Alley, with it, was it's much plainer relative the PIED WAGTAIL. Smaller numbers of LINNETS were in the stubbles, just 30 - 35, and half a dozen MEADOW PIPITS were along side them.
The wet woods were empty of birds, except for a GOLDCREST and many MOORHENS, whilst the lake had only 2 CORMORANTS fishing on it. As I walked back through the nursery, I chatted to one of the workers, it seems half the fields will be finished with next year, which will mean a change of habitat, for better or worse I wonder? A dispute over a boundary fence that separates two of the fields, means that a tree has to be cut down to make way for the agreed new fenceline, unfortunately I have a Little Owl box in it! The nursery manager kindly informed me of the work, and the box will be put into the next tree along.
A quick hour long garden birdwatch to end the day, provided a nice photo opportunity of a Jay, on a less pleasant note, the SPARROWHAWK came speeding in, snatched a greenfinch from the feeder and flew off with it. I've now moved all the feeders to a more sheltered area.

Above is the Jay, and below a Magpie. Both crows, with the same habits that crows are know for, namely stealing eggs and nestlings. unfortunately, the Magpie gets all the bad press as its plumage is not nearly so spectacular, (to some?) and is less shy than the Jay.



1 comment:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Warren: When I compare the Magpie to it's realative over here I'd say it is a really neat bird. That jay also has some very nice coloring. Out crows are big and all black and make a real rackect when they caw back and forth.