Monday 7 January 2013

Nothing to post today really.  After work this afternoon I was out only long enough to walk over to the Lakes via the Small Holding and Wet Woods, then walk back via the Tree Nursery. It was as dark and as dull as it can possible get during daylight ours ( does that make sense ?) plus a persistent drizzle was falling.

Birds were virtually non existent, I think they had all gone to roost early! All I saw were a couple of MISTLE THRUSHES in the Small Holding, 5 MALLARDS and a MOORHEN over on the water, and a flock of 55 FIELDFARE in the hedgerow between the Tree Nursery and Pub Field, even the Kestrels were hiding up somewhere!

Back home I could barely distinguish the different birds species feeding at the bottom of the garden, such was the gloom, but I did see the GREEN WOODPECKER on my ''Blog Log'' as well as a JAY, could have got some nice photo's if there had been even a bit of light!

A non-day today i'm afraid  :-(

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not too good a day here either Warren....but i managed to salvage something in the end (Golden Plovers).

Warren Baker said...

Hi Dean,
I'd take Golden plover :-) a difficult species to get here!

Anonymous said...

Must have been a Peregrine over Old Moor...cos the Goldies were tooing & froing over my house for sometime.

Warren Baker said...

I haven't seen ''our'' Peregrines since November Dean, I wonder if they are still nearby ?

ShySongbird said...

Hi Warren, I seem to have an awful lot of non-days at the moment but at least the afternoons are lengthening a little and there is a bit more birdsong in the garden towards dusk....of course all your birds are far too busy posing on the blog log ;-)

Warren Baker said...

Songbird,
The 'blog log' will be on show again soon, just need some brightness......and a few more peanuts of course :-)

Pete Woodruff said...

I managed a paltry two hours today Warren during which - I hate to tell you - I estimated up to 2,000 Golden Plover on the River Lune at Glasson Dock.

Jason K said...

We seem to live in perpetual gloom at the mmoment warren...roll on Spring when hopefully the grey skies will be a thing of the past!