Wednesday 2 January 2013

The weather had reverted back to 'gloomy' this morning, but at least it remained dry and windless for my 4 hour patch walk.

41 species turned out to greet me today, nothing out of the ordinary for my patch, but a total of 6 of those species were new for the months/year list. The first of those was the FIELDFARE (43), a single bird flew over the Tree Nursery, further Fieldfares were noted throughout the visit, going over in small flocks. Shortly after, a single YELLOWHAMMER (44) was also recorded flying over,  a bird that used to be a regular here in previous years, but is now increasingly restricted to flyover status  :-(

The next new species was also a flyover, when a loose flock of 7 BLACK HEADED GULLS (45) flew over the lakes, but there wasn't anything new seen on the lakes, just the MALLARDS and a single COOT, but as I wandered the nearby Scrubby Woods I saw a CORMORANT (46) glide over and alight onto the main lake.

REDWINGS (47) also joined the year list, 9 birds were sitting in an Oak tree at the Small holding waiting to drop down onto a mown field. The second half of the walk over to the College Grounds via the Greenhouse Grounds and Migrant Alley, was particularly birdless, just 3 more species were added to the days list, they were ROOK, HOUSE SPARROW and the first CANADA GEESE (48) for the year, 18 flew low over Migrant Alley, heading towards the Lake area.

I had session of watching the garden early this afternoon, where as expected I added GREENFINCH (49) to the years tally, I also tried to get some garden bird photo's, but it was too dull for it really, still, here's the results. I have put up a new perch for the birds, this one gives a pleasing background to the portraits, ( next doors lawn!) but I'm just a bit too far from the birds, they aren't too bad considering the low light level though  :-)
ROBIN
GREAT TIT
BLUE TIT
COAL TIT
This shot of a KESTREL was taken yesterday, oh for that light again !

13 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Nice shots Warren. You are getting serious, even thinking about the background colour in the shots......... Or was that accidental. Works nicely though.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...great shots Warren...and i was also going to mention the green background.

Warren Baker said...

Marc,
I set up the perch with the background in mind, then found I couldn't get close enough to the birds! It's never easy is it :-)

Warren Baker said...

Deano,
I like to experiment ;-)

ShySongbird said...

Hi Warren, I didn't see or hear one Winter Thrush on my walk yesterday in fact there was very little bird life at all :-(

Lovely photos again. That was a good idea with the new perch, it does provide a nice background :-)

Warren Baker said...

Hi Songbird,
As you can see in my posts, my first winter thrushes this year only turned up today.

As for the new perch, I need something similar but nearer to my shed hide, its difficult in my small walled garden though!

Greenie said...

Warren ,
I too like the new background , looks very 'arty' .
'Gloomy' was the word as you say this morning , looks the same for the rest of the week .

Phil said...

Great background. Great foreground! Will contact you soon Warren.

Warren Baker said...

Cheers Phil :-)

Pete Woodruff said...

Seven birds in the red Warren, great stuff but good job I'm not talking about your bank account in the red!!

Adam said...

great birds

Monika said...

Trying to get back in the blogging mode and found no better time to catch up and start following your blog again Warren than here at the beginning of a new year! I also wanted to comment that the green background was excellent, but I see I'm not the first!

Alan Pavey said...

Great shots Mate, away we go again :-)