Thursday 14 February 2008

After work this afternoon, I arrived home to find the garden feeders full of birds. Given the amount of disturbance around my patch, I decided to watch the garden for a few hours, maybe a Brambling or Redpoll would drop in. There were certainly more CHAFFINCH, a peak of 8 came down, but alas no Brambling. A peak of 7 GOLDFINCH and 5 GREENFINCH all fed at the sunflower hearts, 3 ROBIN, and a pair of DUNNOCK fed on the scraps under the feeders, in competition with up to 6 STARLING. A SPARROWHAWK ruined the party at 3:25, and only the tits came back within 20mins. Nothing new for the monthly list, in retrospect maybe I should of gone to the lake area!
A Colourful Mix Of Finch's
This Magpie Is The local One, Note its injured Eye.

Another unfortunate Character - Look At The Bill On This Dove!


Always One Of My Favourites. This was One Of A Pair Of COAL TITS To Visit



Finch's And ROBIN




Gold, Green, and CHAFFINCH With GREAT TIT





3 comments:

Kingsdowner said...

Very appropriate to Valentine's Day - lots of birds attracted to the (sunflower) hearts.
A great sight.
There seems to have been an increase in greenfinches and chaffinches this week, confirmed by your reports.

Dan Salter said...

Hi.

2 things...

Firstly i know its probably off patch for you ( i still cant get my head around what your route is on your patch?) but twice this week while working on a river corridor survey and a phase 1 habitat survey for my degree course at hadlow i have seen a little egret around the borne river over the road from college around the sewage works area ( meadows south by the oast house).

Also i was talking about you today to a friend of yours ( and my favourite lecturer) John Hammond! ;) he talks highly of you.

Warren Baker said...

Hi dan,
I know where you mean, and yep its off my patch! The part of the river I walk down is behind the college, over a wooden planked bridge and towards the A26. I cross the river again at the last college building. As for the '' mighty'' John Hammond, well he is the best man to learn habitat from!!