Friday 22 February 2008

Out on my patch this morning, and it was much quieter - maybe the windier weather played some part? I did manage to get 45 species, but they were a lot harder to come by than yesterdays. A passage of Gulls was observed, mainly HERRING, but two LESSER BLACK BACKED went over and a single BLACK HEADED, all going N/W.
I decided, once at migrant alley, I would do a bit of ''stand and see what turns up''. Well the usual SPARROWHAWK did, scattering the 200 STARLINGS and the 100 or so mixed thrush flock, that were feeding on the freshly manure spread fields. SKYLARKS took turns in flying up, giving their song and plummeting back down again, just a single meadow pipit flew to the greenhouse complex, but nothing really was happening today.
When I got home I found the MARSH TIT feeding in the garden, the first time this month. It usually feeds in the garden by the lake area, but I noticed this morning their feeders were empty. my garden is just a standby!



GOLDFINCH
This is a view of the stream behind Hadlow College - (actually the river Bourne)

This wet ditch marks the western boundary of my patch. I always hope for a snipe or Sandpiper! The greenhouse complex is in the background, migrant alley is behind that.


One of the half a dozen SKYLARKS, this is the best shot I could get !
From 2:00pm onwards I watched the garden and surrounding area. A good total of 30 species was seen, 3 not seen on my morning walk, MARSH TIT, LINNET, and BUZZARD, 3 of which soared high to the N/E.


No comments: