Sunday 4 March 2012

Continuous moderate rain, which turned heavy later in the day, plagued my patch visit this morning, and in the end I gave in to the elements, and called it a day just 90 mins into the walk. Mind you, we do need some rain desperately!!

The shortened visit wasn't without some highlights, the best being the months first MANDARIN DUCKS (54) seen on the main lake, two pairs flew off shortly after I arrived. Whilst sheltering from the rain, I also added LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL (55)to the months list, when 5 were seen wheeling above the scrubby Woods, a few moments later to be followed by a COMMON BUZZARD lazily flapping its way S.

I tried and failed to hear/see the months first Nuthatch, and have watched the garden feeders on and off all day hoping for one to drop in, but none has arrived - mind you, persistent attacks from the SPARROWHAWK has kept all but the most courageous and fleet winged of birds away, those being the BLUE and GREAT TITS!

At one point it got quite bright outside, despite the rain so i poked the camera out the window, but with limited success, only this rater grainy COLLARED DOVE image escaped the delete button. The BLUE TIT and GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER photo's were taken yesterday.
Collared Dove
Blue Tit
Great Spotted Woodpecker

9 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Not a day for the cameras, tomorrow does not look much better.

ShySongbird said...

I think ninety minutes in the rain was pretty good going, Warren. After a day of rain here the sun has come out now it's too late to do anything!

Lovely pic of the GSW, I wish they were regulars in my garden. I have got a male Blackcap at the moment though :-) I thought this was going to be the first Winter for years that I haven't had them in the garden but I think I just haven't spent enough time watching lately...too much time looking at blogs ;-)

Warren Baker said...

Songbird,
I'd love a Blackcap in the garden! They have appeared in past winters, but not this.

I know what you mean about blog watching, it's so addictive seeing what other people have been up to :-)

Warren Baker said...

Steve,
You're right, It's a case of working harder, and I get a bit lazy :-)

Jason K said...

Not bad for even a short visit...I bet the Mandarin were a welcome sight!

Millhouse Photography said...

Brave little critters those Blue and Great tits aren't they!

Chris said...

Well the same over here, crapy weather. But you got nice pictures today with the raindrops!

Rohrerbot said...

I know the feeling Warren...some days, you just don't want to fight the battle with the camera. Lovely shots on what you did get. Better birding tomorrow:)

Ornitocampero.blogspot.com.es said...

Love the wood pecker on the feeder!