Wednesday 2 January 2008

Being the beginning of the month, its that time to count all the birds I see, and hear.Obviously not everything on my patch can be seen, so its more of a guide to the population of different species, when looked at over a long period. The WOODPIGEON is almost always the most common species (248), but the ROOK wasn't far behind (223), a large flock fed in the paddocks at migrant alley, along with 41 JACKDAW, 24 CARRION CROW and 80 STARLING. At the other end of the scale just singles of GOLDCREST, TREECREEPER, COAL TIT, KESTREL, and GREENFINCH (unusual) were seen. The SISKIN flock had dispersed, leaving just 2 (thats because I took my camera out to get some shots of them). The winter Thrushes also had moved on, just small groups were scattered - 23 FIELDFARE and 13 REDWING in all. Nothing much out out of the ordinary was recorded, but 5 species were added to the month, 49 now.

Below are some pics of birds seen in the garden today. (got a new camera for xmas -trying it out!)

Blackbird


Robin

Great Spotted Woodpecker


Starling


Chaffinch



2 comments:

Steve said...

Hi Warren - top couple of pics look a bit dark! I reckon your siskin are over with me now!

Warren Baker said...

Yea, sorry about the pics. I was taking them as the sun set! You know what its like with a new toy!!