Sunday 27 January 2008

The final full January walk round my patch today, and it turned up a real treat. As I viewed across the first lake and through the dividing tree line, I could see 2 MUTE SWAN. I Crept up to them, not too close as I didn't want to scare them off, and blow me down there were 5! Now this may seem an unremarkable sighting of a common species - but on my patch I only see them fly over, once or twice a year, they have never alighted on the lakes!

Also on the lake were MALLARD, GREY HERON, CANADA GEESE and a KINGFISHER, (still not wanting to be photographed) There were at least 3 TEAL in the wet woods, and a confiding treecreeper (that did want his picture taken) Migrant alley was empty, but for a large female SPARROWHAWK, that slowly went over, and 4 SISKIN fed in the alders along the stream, at the college. It was disappointing not to find a Goldfinch, but 45 species was a fair result.
Two Of The Mute Swans
Treecreeper

Treecreeper again.


Drake Teal



Canada Geese




Carrion Crow - Sunning Itself In Front Of The Greenhouse Complex



In the afternoon I went to tetrad TQ65A - my B.T.O atlas square. A number of woodland species were seen including a WOODCOCK, why doesn't one come a few hundred meters south, onto my patch? i found this moss - like plant on the woodland floor (below), anyone know what it is?

Below is the greenhouse complex, viewed from the higher ground to the N/W of my patch. I think some birds are attracted down to it because from above it looks like a water body.








4 comments:

Steve said...

Hi Warren, it is a Polytrichum moss. steve

Warren Baker said...

Thanks for that steve. I'll see if Ive got any info on it.

Steve said...

try this http://home.clara.net/adhale/bryos/pcommune.htm

Warren Baker said...

cheers steve i'll put it in my fav's list!