Saturday 12 January 2008

Fieldfare
Jackdaw

Redwing At Migrant alley


Mallard







A large Puddle, that was created overnight, was quickly adopted by 7 Mallard




At last the weather had improved, this mornings walk was sunny and bright, with little wind. I left at 7.40, maybe a little too early, as little was about, just the odd singing ROBIN, BLACKBIRD, and MISTLE THRUSH. By the time I had reached the lake area it was lighter, and such scarce birds (for my patch) such as, KINGFISHER, LITTLE GREBE, and CORMORANT were found, as well as the MARSH TIT. In the waterlogged woods at least 4 TEAL lurked under cover. All these species are irregular sightings, so to see them in one visit boded well for a long day list. At migrant alley, one of the paddocks held 162 FIELDFARE with a sprinkling of REDWING and a couple of Mistle Thrush. Only 1 SKYLARK was heard, and the same for MEADOW PIPIT and PIED WAGTAIL. 3 GREAT BLACK BACK GULLS few over, a real scarce species to get, but even with this the total list came to 45. A good target for any day list in any month is 50 species, I could have expected, Kestrel, Long tailed tit, Coal Tit, Canada and Grey Lag Goose as well as Treecreeper today!

3 comments:

Hornet said...

Sounds like we had a similar day - I had 43 species. I got Treecreeper, Kestrel and Long-tailed Tit, we both got Teal (not common for me on patch either), but I didn't get Meadow Pipit, Skylark nor even a single Pied Wagtail!

Nice site, I've returned the link on mine. Keep 'patching'.

Tony Morris said...

I actually managed to find some winter thrushes near by, not St Margaret's but a bit inland at Ripple, but they were difficult to photograph, very flighty.

Steve said...

Nice picture of the Jackdaw Warren...