Monday 7 January 2008

This morning as I walked to work at 7am, there was just a strip of dim light on the horizon, no point in getting the bins out of my bag yet,............ wrong!! About 60m away, flying across my path was either a) a Tawny owl b) a Little owl or c) a Woodcock. I only got the briefest of silhouettes. It didn't seem to undulate like a Little owl, it seemed to small for a Tawny and too broad winged and bulky for a Woodcock. Oh well this one got away!

Collared Dove, One of Up to 20 that Can Hoover Up The Sunflower Hearts In The Garden


On the walk back home the sports pitch at the college held 26 BLACK HEADED GULLS, and migrant alley held aroung 50 ROOKS and at least 250 STARLINGS, I was being blasted by rain in a strong westerly, so I didn't hang around for a more accurate count.
Who Can Resist Taking A Photo Of A Robin ?
I got home and decided a garden watch would be more productive than a lake walk, in 2hrs, from 2pm - 4pm I recorded 25 species in and around the garden, 14 of which used the garden facilities. A new garden species for the month was a LONG TAILED TIT, strangely on its own, bringing the months garden visitors total to 20.

Green Woodpecker In A Neighbours Garden.


4 comments:

Stewart said...

Nice Blog Warren. Whats the best bird on your patch? Are you inland or coastal?

I hope 2008 sends you a new tick or two....

Steve said...

Always frustrating the one that gets away......keep on plugging away warren

Warren Baker said...

Hi boulmer birder!
Best bird recorded on my patch would have to be a toss up between the WOODWARBLER in full song, or the superb male HEN HARRIER that flew low over migrant alley, a close third would be the FIRECREST. My patch is inland just outside tonbridge, it covers a bog standard mix of woodland and farmland, with a small lake/pond area.

Stewart said...

Good birds there Warren. Give you a 1000 Little Auks for the Harrier...