Tuesday 1 April 2008

Dull and drizzley was the weather at 7.00am as I crossed migrant alley. A few good species to kick off the April list were seen, including, a couple of flocks of HERRING GULL, a flock of about 40 FIELDFARE, (not always on the April list), a KESTREL, a GREY HERON and best of all a LITTLE EGRET, that flew low over the college grounds, probably the same individual i've been seeing all year.
After work I was out again, I wanted to visit the lake to see if the Mute swans were still there, but they had gone, although a lone CORMORANT fished on one of the lakes, a good April record.. I sat in the adjacent scrubby area, to listen for Blackcap but after an hour gave up - not arrived yet! However I did see my first GRASS SNAKES of the year, too quick for me to photograph! Also , I recorded the first COMMA butterfly of the year, as it blew by on the stiff wind.
A two hour sit at migrant alley didn't produce the first Swallow of the year, but a LAPWING flew over, the first recorded since Jan. 6th. A few more Herring Gulls flew over as did another Cormorant, but it was a disappointing skywatch overall, given the warm conditions and the westerly wind.



This is my seat at ''Migrant Alley'' it faces South


The view looking southwest from my seat


The view looking south from my seat - can you see any Swallows ?


No comments: