Friday 18 April 2008

Today didn't disappoint weatherwise. It was grey and cold, with a biting NE wind. Very few spring visitors were seen, just 1 SWALLOW, a pair of BLACKCAPS and 3 singing CHIFFCHAFFS. At migrant alley there were 20 HERRING GULLS , 3 LESSER BLACK BACKED GULLS, and a pair of SKYLARKS feeding on the newly ploughed field - but that was it! The best birds of the day were a pair of GREY WAGTAILS that were on the stream behind the college. A reasonable total of 44 species was recorded, about average for an April day.
In my garden I noticed the first fledgeling ROBIN being fed by its parents, but there was little else going on.
The Robins nest I found last week was visited again, and the hen bird was sitting tight on at least 2 eggs.
Mr and Mrs MISTLE THRUSH continue to defy the odds, and are bring in beakfuls of worms and slugs, I expect the young to fledge late next week, I wonder how many they have ?

Photo opportunities were again limited today, but these two were being very helpful !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Computador, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://computador-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.