Thursday 3 April 2008

It was warm and springlike this am, and I felt sure I would find a summer visitor on the walk in to work, but again I drew a blank. I did notice that the Mistle Thrush nest I found at the weekend has been abandoned, probably predated.
After work I went and took my skywatching seat at migrant alley, and spent an hour watching and waiting, mainly for a swallow or perhaps an early Hobby falcon, niether appeared, but I did see a COMMON BUZZARD soar over high, going NW. Also a LESSER BLACK BACK GULL flew over, both new for the month, a MEADOW PIPIT went over, maybe the last of the winter and surprisingly a LITTLE OWL called from the copse adjacent the fields, another new one for the month. I left migrant alley, and had a rare afternoon visit to the golf course hedgerow, mainly to listen out for Blackcap - but heard none. As I left the golf course I passed through an ungrazed paddock and found 8 FIELDFARE and 2 REDWING, this may well be the last sighting of these two winter visitors.

This Peacock Butterfly is the first to visit my garden this year, its a bit tatty, but nonetheless, it still counts! Came straight in for my hyacinth, Exactly why I planted it for.
This CHIFFCHAFF was in full song, in an ash tree, amongst a small headland of trees at one end of migrant alley

3 comments:

Kingsdowner said...

I envy you the seat - it must be very peaceful.
Good to see the butterflies coming out, although they won't like the weekend weather.

Simon said...

Weldone with the Buzzard. The Blackcaps should be on there way to you soon - had 8 in Mote Park this morning.

Mike said...

Nice Chiff Chaff shot Warren not the easiest of birds to catch.
After your post the other day we had a Male Blackcap in the garden, no photos yet though.