Thursday 17 April 2008

On some spring days, you leave the house and the sun is shining, the insects are buzzing, and a light, warm, southerly wind carries the sound of birdsong - you just know something good is going to turn up. Well today was nothing like that, in fact it was the opposite - apart from a bit of sun, there was a cold easterly wind, relentlesly blowing, making it impossible to hear much. The walk to and from work was uneventful, as was a two hour walk round after dinner. I got so fed up with the wind I came home and sorted out the garden feeders! The only birds of note were a pair of MUTE SWANS that were on one of the lakes. I have got tomorrow off, so it I hope it gets a bit better, looking at the weather forecast it doesn't bode well!

Photo opportunities were scarce, but this Herring Gull obliged


I found this Snakes head fritillary blooming in the garden - I planted at least a dozen, but this is the only one that flowered.


Also in bloom was this Pasque flower - with a Hover fly on is center.


At least the birds put on a bit of a show at the feeders. You can always rely on a Greenfinch!



No comments: