Monday 19 May 2008

After all of yesterdays sightings there wasn't much left to find on my patch, but........This mornings walk into work produced a first for the month - a LITTLE EGRET, it flew across the college grounds. This is a good sighting for May, and the first seen since March 19th.
This afternoon was mainly used to check my nest boxes. I have 7 woodcrete boxes, all have BLUE TITS in apart from 1 which has GREAT TITS. The six Blue tit boxes al have young in, of varying ages, the youngest family hatched out no more than 4 days ago, the oldest probably 8-9 days ago. I counted 5 Great tit young, but there were also 2 unhatched eggs, the blue tits are having a much better season than last year (so far!) with families of between 13 max and 8 min. I reckon there are near 60 young in total. I better get some more sunflower hearts and peanuts in for the autumn!
When I arrived home there were families of STARLING eagerly snapping up the fat pellets I bought, 6kg has lasted all of 4 days, and thats 20 quids worth!


This fledgling wa still screaming, even though it had a mouthful !
Another youngster stands on the food, but still demands to be fed

All the youngsters


Young with Parent



And this Male Chaffinch was just asking to be snapped!!




3 comments:

Tony Morris said...

Your Starling looks like "Feed Me" in the little shop of horrors!
Haven't had any fledged Starlings yet, but the Blackbirds are out.
Tony

Simon said...

Welldone with the Little Egret! My local Starlings haven't fedged yet - I did have a juvenile Robin in the garden a couple of weeks ago.

Warren Baker said...

Hi guys,
The resident species all seem to be doing well with their first broods. Lets hopeconditions also favour the migrants.